LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps 1 | 2017 MLS Match Recap
The Vancouver Whitecaps found a way to win on the road despite missing some key contributors, while the LA Galaxy continue their baffling 2017 home form, losing at StubHub Center for the sixth time this season, tying a club record as the 'Caps defeated them 1-0 on Wednesday night.
Playing in a compact defensive shape for most of the match, the Whitecaps began to push forward in the second half, earning fouls in dangerous positions. These opportunities paid off just after the hour mark, when Christian Bolanos sent in a free kick cross that found an unchallenged Tony Tchani.
- 64' – VAN – Tony Tchani
- IT'S REYNA TIME: Wins in their last two outings is certainly the form the Whitecaps want going into the second half of the season, but just as encouraging should be Yordy Reyna continuing to work his way into the squad. It wasn't the start fans were hoping for after the extended break, but going half an hour and managing an on-target shot is another step in the right direction.
- HOW DID I GET HERE? Ashley Cole has at times been described as the best left back of his generation, but with the Galaxy dealing with so many injuries Curt Onalfo used him as a defensive midfielder on Wednesday night. Yellow card accumulation after a 90' infraction means Joao Pedro is suspended for the next LA game, and with Jermaine Jones still recovering from injury, who starts in the midfield on New England's turf will be interesting.
- GOTTA HAVE GOALS: 43% of the Galaxy's goals this season have come from set pieces, the highest such percentage in MLS (according to Opta). The team has still managed to score their share of goals, but in performances like the one against Vancouver their reliance on set piece goals looms large.
They Said It
"It's okay, it's difficult...I'm more tired." -Defender Ashley Cole on playing midfield
- LA: Saturday, July 22nd at New England Revolution (7:30 pm ET | MLS LIVE)
- VAN: Sunday, July 23rd vs Portland Timbers (6:30 pm ET | FS1, TSN1)